1. 29.8 MILLION people are held in slavery today. — Global Slavery Index
From brick kilns to abusive brothels, millions of children, women and men face daily violence with no hope for freedom. In fact, there are more people enslaved today than there were during the entire trans-Atlantic slave trade.
2. 5 MILLION people are victimized by forced evictions every year, and millions more are run off by more powerful neighbors. — UN HABITAT
They have no savings accounts or safety nets—and they’re left homeless, hungry and exposed.
3. 85% of police in India haven’t been trained in criminal investigations. — Human Rights Watch
That means cases are mishandled, and many victims of violence are never heard.
4. 1 IN 5 women around the world is a victim of rape or attempted rape. — UN
While women and girls everywhere are vulnerable to violence, it is the poorest who are the most likely to face sexual assault.
5. 10 MILLION people will enter pre-trial detention every year—held in prison or jail without any proceedings to determine their guilt or innocence. — Open Society Foundations
In the developing world, men and women can rot in jail for years with no evidence against them.